Endoscopic lung volume reduction at Spire Leeds Hospital
- Doctors and health professionals
- Thoracic surgery
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- West Yorkshire
- Kostas Papagiannopoulos
Consultant Thoracic Surgeon
01132... 01132068776 Reveal phone no. >
Kostas Papagiannopoulos: Consultant Thoracic Surgeon in Leeds
Mr Kostas Papagiannopoulos is a Senior Consultant Thoracic Surgeon at St James's University Hospital in Leeds and at Spire Leeds Hospital. Skilled in the latest technologies and techniques, he offers treatment for benign and malignant conditions of the chest such as lung cancer, emphysema, chest wall deformities, thoracic outlet syndrome, atrial fibrillation and mesothelioma.
Video and phone appointments now available. Book now.
Training and experience
Following further training as a qualified surgeon at the Royal Brompton Hospital in 1999 and in lung and esophageal surgery at the University of Leuven, Belgium in 2000, in 2001 Mr Papagiannopoulos was appointed Consultant Thoracic Surgeon in Leeds, a position he holds to this day.
Mr Papagiannopoulos developed the Thoracic service in Leeds by marketing and centralizing services from the Western Yorkshire area. As a result of this, the Department has grown from a service Provider of 625,000 population to a Regional centre serving 2.5 million citizens and receiving referrals from over 10 Hospitals in the region.
Mr Papagiannopoulos co-ordinated the transfer of the Department from Leeds General Infirmary to St James’s University Hospital in 2005, with amalgamation of services from Bradford and Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust and the subsequent transfer of the service in the St. James’s Institute of Oncology in 2008, offering a full range of specialist treatments for benign and malignant diseases of the chest.
As an early adopter of new technology and techniques, Mr Papagiannopoulos has established minimally invasive treatment for benign and malignant diseases of the lung and airway, atrial fibrillation (irregular heart beat), emphysema and metastatic malignant diseases of the lung such as colorectal cancer, breast cancer and sarcomas.
All treatments provided by Mr Papagiannopoulos are offered through NICE guidelines and National and International protocols following discussions at 6 established Multidisciplinary Team meetings.
Positions held in National and International Organisations
- Clinical Director Thoracic Surgery Leeds 2006 - 2011
- Chair Thoracic Group, Yorkshire Cancer Network UK 2006 - 2008
- Councilor European Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2008 - 2009
- Treasurer European Society of Thoracic Surgeons 2009 - present
- ESTS Annual Meeting Committee
- ESTS School of Thoracic Surgery Committee
- ESTS Textbook Committee
- Leuven 2007 Abstract Reviewers
- Bologna 2008 Abstract Reviewers
- Krakow 2009 Abstract Reviewers
- Valladolid 2010 Abstract Reviewers
- Marseille 2011 Abstract Reviewers
- Essen 2012 Abstract Reviewers
- Bedside teaching of undergraduate students.
- SSC literature review tutor for undergraduate students.
- Assigned Educational Supervisor of FY and ST trainees.
- Lecturer at Yorkshire School of Surgery.
- Faculty member European School of Thoracic Surgery
- Scientific Program committee member European Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Mr Kostas Papagiannopoulos offers a range of modern treatments and procedures for cardiothoracic conditions, including:
- Complex lung cancer surgery, including cases involving spine in a team approach with a senior neurosurgeon
- Endoscopic lung volume reduction for emphysema and COPD
- Local resection, PDT and stents for the management of benign and malignant airway disease
- Management of mesothelioma
- Minimally invasive lung cancer treatment
- Minimally invasive treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Minimally invasive treatment for Thoracic Outlet syndrome
- Treatment of chest wall deformities; pectus repairs without the use of metal bars both minimally invasive and open (Nuss or Ravitch)
- VATS (keyhole surgery) for malignant and benign diseases of the chest
- Second opinion service for complex and failured procedures with national and international referrals
Mr Papagiannopoulos undertakes medico-legal work. He has attended lectures and received the Cardiff University Bond Solon expert witness certificate.
Details of expert witness practice:
- Claimant to defendant ratio: 80:20
- Medical negligence cases: yes
- Does not undertake medico-legal work under the age of 18
- Workload: approximately 30-40 cases per annum
- Experience in Coroner’s/Crown Court: yes
Mr Papagannopoulos has a research interest in pre-malignant lesions of the lung, health economics, quality of life after surgical treatment for lung cancer and medical devices.
He has authored and co-authored a number of papers and abstracts and is a journal reviewer for:
Annals of Thoracic Surgery
European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery
Book an appointment
01132... 01132068776 Reveal phone no. >
mkott... email@example.com revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Kostas Papagiannopoulos is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MB ChB, MMED Thorax, MD CTH
Qualified in 1990 in Greece
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 4143802 Date of registration: 25-Oct-1994
Memberships and associations
Kostas Papagiannopoulos is a member of the following professional associations and organisations...