Gallstone and Hernia Surgeon
07729... 07729 604080 Reveal phone no. >
Gavin Robertson: Gallstone and Hernia Surgeon in Leicester
Mr Gavin Robertson is Consultant Laparoscopic and Hepatobiliary Surgeon at Leicester General Hospital. An expert is his field, he offers private diagnosis and treatment for gallbladder disease and abdominal wall hernias at The Leicester Nuffield Hospital and Spire Leicester Hospital.
Video and phone consultations now available. Book now.
Training and Experience
Gavin qualified in 1984 from Leicester Medical School. His extensive surgical training included 8 years as a lecturer in Leicester, where he began training in laparoscopic surgery when it began in the UK in 1993. He spent additional periods on specialist units in Birmingham, Belgium and Australia.
Involved in the technique since its inception in 1993, Mr Robertson is a highly experienced and skilled laparoscopic surgeon with specialist training from national and international units. He has a particular interest and expertise in the treatment of gallbladder disease and has performed over 5000 laparoscopic cholecystectomies to date, with no incidence of bile duct injury. His other major interest is the repair of abdominal wall hernias laparoscopically including complex incisional hernias as well as inguinal, umbilical and ventral hernias (over 5500).
He has been on the Council of the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, and an instructor for advanced laparoscopic surgery and laparoscopic cholecystectomy at The Royal College of Surgeons of England.
He has over 60 original publications and book chapters covering the management of gallstones and repair of hernias.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
- Upper GI endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
Investigation, diagnosis and treatment
Mr Robertson offers rapid assessment of abdominal pain and gallstones using ultrasound, CT and MRI scanning, blood tests and endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). An advocate for surgical intervention in virtually all cases of gallbladder disease, he is also an expert on the treatment of the complications associated with the condition.
He also offers an expert assessment of abdominal wall hernias of all types, ranging from standard groin hernias (with over 5500 laparoscopic repairs performed to date), to complex incisional hernias which are referred from around the Midlands.
Membership of Medical Associations
- British Medical Association from 1981.
- The Pancreatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland from 1991.
- Society for Minimally Invasive Therapy from 1993-8.
- British Society of Gastroenterologists from 1994.
- Midland Gastroenterological Society from 1994.
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland from 1994.
- East Midlands Surgical Society from 1994.
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons from 1997
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland from 1997
- Elected to the Council of the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland 2009.
- Elected to the Council of the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Advanced trauma and life support instructor.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England laparoscopic cholecystectomy and advanced laparoscopic instructor.
- Programme director of Surgical SpR Training for South Trent.
- Chairman of the South Trent Training Committee.
- Journal referee for British Journal of Surgery (laparoscopic papers)
- Postgraduate Medical Journal
- Joint organiser and faculty member on the National Leicester hernia Course.
For the last 20 years Gavin’s practice has focused on laparoscopic (keyhole Surgery) especially in the treatment of gallstone disease and for the repair of abdominal wall hernias.
Over that time he has performed over 5000 laparoscopic cholecystectomies often referred because of their complex nature, with no bile duct injuries (expected incidence 1-2/1000) and a conversion rate to open surgery of well under 1%.
He has now performed over 5500 laparoscopic inguinal (groin) hernia repairs with a recurrence rate under 1% and has pioneered techniques for repairing incisional hernias resulting from previous conventional open surgery.
- Treatment of gallbladder disease using minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Repair of groin hernias and complex incisional hernias.
- Surgical management of acid reflux
- Surgery for achalasia causing problems swallowing.
What patients say about Gavin Robertson
I was advised by the NHS that I would have to wait 3 months for an operation, so I decided to go private due to ongoing pain & weight loss. At every turn Mr Robertson kept me fully informed of what to expect. I then developed jaundice & he was able to immediately book me an MRI scan at Spire & discovered that my bile duct was partly blocked with an infection, he arranged for an ECRP quickly to remove the debris, that resulted in an immediate improvement. I then had the follow up Laparoscopic cholecystectomy with no post operation issues. Sadly the NHS missed a lot of the issues I raised, whereas Mr Robertson joined up all the dots quickly for a successful outcome that has been transformational for me & my family . I would highly recommend Mr Robertson who is a truly caring professional.by Weldora
Book an appointment
07729... 07729 604080 Reveal phone no. >
cserv... firstname.lastname@example.org revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Gavin Robertson is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MB, ChB, MD, FRCS
Qualified in 1984 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 2914299 Date of registration: 01-Aug-1985