- Doctors and health professionals
- East of England
- Simon Greenfield
07947... 07947 803 034 Reveal phone no. >
Simon Greenfield: Consultant Gastroenterologist in Hertfordshire
Dr Simon Greenfield is a highly experienced Gastroenterologist in Hertfordshire and treats conditions affecting the gut including all forms of indigestion and stomach complaints, all types of bowel problems such as constipation and diarrhoea and pancreas/bile duct problems.
About Dr Simon Greenfield
Dr Simon Greenfield, MB BS MD FRCP, has been a consultant since 1996, is head of the practice of Hertfordshire Gastroenterology and has a large practice in Hertfordshire seeing over 1,500 patients annually for consultation. He is a highly skilled endoscopist practising all forms of diagnostic and therapeutic (such as polyp removal) endoscopy and performs gastroscopy (300 annually), colonoscopy (250 annually) and ERCP (100 annually).
Dr Greenfield is Clinical Director of Gastroenterology at East and North Herts NHS Trust where he is responsible for service delivery and strategy. He fully participates in clinical audit to ensure his procedures are carried out to the exacting standards laid down by the British Society of Gastroenterology. When meeting a new patient his philosophy is to take a detailed history of their problems and in particular to focus on any areas of diet that might be influencing the symptoms. If required he may undertake a gastroscopy/colonoscopy but believes that this is only a small part of the treatment process and that it is important to take a holistic view when treating someone with gut symptoms. Apart from medication, dietary advice plays an important part in his treatment strategy.
Whilst at St Thomas’ Hospital, Dr Greenfield completed his MD thesis on inflammatory bowel disease before completing his training at UCH and the Whittington Hospital, North London.
In 2009 he was awarded by the British Society of Gastroenterology a travelling fellowship to the gastrointestinal unit of the Medical University of South Carolina; this was a valuable learning experience.
Quality and accreditation
Dr Greenfield is former Chairman to the Clinical Services and Standards Committee of the BSG the committee responsible for guidelines and revalidation of UK gastroenterologists.
He is former chairman of the Independent Practice committee of the BSG, responsible for ensuring standards in UK private practice in gastroenterology, and a board member of FIPO (Federation of Independent Practitioner Organisations).
Simon Greenfield is a highly experienced gastroenterologist and endoscopist and is considered an expert in his field. Offering a range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, he provides a reassuring and very high quality service for patients experiencing gastrointestinal problems such as:
- Abdominal pain
- Swallowing problems
- Rectal bleeding
Initial consultation: £250
Follow up consultation: £120
This everyday condition causes countless problems to many people. Dr Greenfield is considered an expert in managing this symptom.
These symptoms can be quite distressing to patients. Dr Greenfield has published widely on this topic.
Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
Simon manages many patients with this condition in Hertfordshire, ensuring his patients get access to the latest novel biological treatments.
Dr Greenfield considers himself an expert in this difficult endoscopic procedure that may involve removal of gallstones or stenting (placing a drainage tube) of the bile duct to relieve jaundice.
Simon manages numerous patients with abnormal liver tests, often detected by chance on routine blood tests or following an insurance medical.
Dr Greenfield also performs the following examinations at Hertfordshire Gastroenterology:
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
Dr Greenfield has published widely on topics such as colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation and endoscopy.
He was Guidelines Editor for Gut (2010-2012) and as such was responsible for the reviewing and editing of all guidelines produced by the British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG), the organisation responsible for upholding the standards of UK gastroenterology.
He is a reviewer for Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Provision of out-of-hours services for acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in England: results of the 2014-15 BSG/NHS England national survey. Nedjat-Shokouhi B; Glynn M; Denton ERE; Greenfield SM, Frontline Gastroenterology 2017:8:8-12
- Deficiencies in services for acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Lobo A, Greenfield SM, Forgacs I, British Medical Journal 2015: 351:h4774 (editorial)
- The setting up and running of a cross-county out-of-hours gastrointestinal bleed service: a possible blueprint for the future. Shokouhi BN... Greenfield SM. Frontline Gastroenterology 2013;4:227-231
- The use of symptoms to predict colorectal cancer site Kent A, Greenfield SM. European Gastroenterology and Hepatology Review – 2011; 7 (2) 108-10
- The impact of chronic constipation on quality of life in adults and children: A systematic review. Belsey J, Greenfield SM, Candy D, Geraint M Alimentary, Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2010;31:938-49
- Prospective evaluation of the pharmacogentics of Azathioprine in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. Ansari A; Arenas, Greenfield SM, et al Alimentary, Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2008;28:973-983
- The Management of Constipation in Hospital Inpatients Greenfield SM. BR J Hosp Med 2007;68:3:145-147
What patients say about Simon Greenfield
I have now just passed the ‘magic five year’ mark and everything is fine and will continue to have colonoscopies every three years. I would just like to thank you for the wonderful way you treated me, and explained everything to me. Getting everything sorted by Christmas was just so thoughtful and my family will be forever grateful. We all think you deserve a Gold Medal.by B.E.
Book an appointment
07947... 07947 803 034 Reveal phone no. >
finol... firstname.lastname@example.org revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Simon Greenfield is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MB BS ,MD,FRCP
Qualified in 1984
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 2939432 Date of registration: 01-Aug-1985