The most commonly asked questions, answered
Dentist qualifications: Common abbreviations and useful links
Once dentists have completed their dentistry degree they are awarded the following abbreviations after their name:
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- BChD (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- And less commonly LDS (Licence of Dental Surgery).
Once a dentist has undertaken postgraduate study and specialised in surgical dentistry or periodontology for example, the initials MClinDent will be awarded or MSc for Endodontics or Implant Dentistry.
MFDSRCS stands for Member in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons.
FDSRCS stands for Fellow in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons.
Patients are always advised to enquire about a dentist’s postgraduate training and education, to ask to see previous cases and how many cosmetic procedures they have performed before going ahead with cosmetic dental treatment.
- The General Dental Council
- The British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Kings College London, Dental Institute
- Royal College of Surgeon’s of England – Dental Faculty