Confused.com has revealed that in addition to offering protection to family and loved ones should the worst happen, having a life insurance policy can help with matters in the present, from counselling to tax, moving home to health and fitness.
With only 40% of people having a life insurance policy, and 30% of those without it claiming cost is the key reason, these additional benefits may sweeten the offer, allowing customers to benefit now as well as in the future from having protection. One in five people has had counselling at some point, making this a useful service to have access to, whether support with a bereavement, illness, anxiety or stress is required.
One of the more quirky additional benefits is Legal and General's ‘smooth move', a 24 hour rescue service to help with unexpected hitches on house moving day and up to three months afterwards for domestic energy repairs.
Matthew Lloyd at Confused.com says, "Many people do not know that once you have a life insurance policy there are many added extras that can be made use of without needing to make a claim on the policy. A number of insurers offer access to counselling, while others offer help with finding employment, issues regarding tax, or moving house. We all like getting something for nothing, so these extras should be taken into account when getting life insurance quotes and deciding which policy to take out."
- Care first - a round the clock service offering advice and support to the policyholder and their family
- Counselling to help with:bereavement; anxiety, depression, stress; relationship breakdown; diagnosis of a critical illness; family issues; alcohol and substance abuse; life transitions; bullying and harassment
- Health information - 24-hour access to healthcare professionals
- Counselling helpline - 24-hour access for advise on personal and work issues
- Legal and tax information helpline - 24 hour access to specialists
- Helping hands - Specialist nurse; therapist (home visit) and counsellor
- Legal and medical advice; medical helpline; career helpline; personal helpline
- Best doctors - a service to locate internationally recognised experts to help with medical problems
- Lifeline advisers to help with: legal issues; medical information; tax enquiries; stress counselling; bereavement counselling
- Tax enquiry helpline
Legal and General
- Smooth move 24 - a service to help with unexpected hitches on moving day and three months afterwards for domestic energy repairs
- Healthy Steps - a free online service offering personal advice on lifestyle health and fitness and a free online health check and risk assessment