Leading urological surgeon Mr Francis Chinegwundoh discusses his work.
Consultant Urological Surgeon
Professor Francis Chinegwundoh MBE: Consultant Urological Surgeon in London
Based at 19 Harley Street, Professor Francis Chinegwundoh MBE is a highly experienced Consultant Urological Surgeon offering expert treatment for diseases of the urinary/reproductive tracts in men and for urinary disease in women. Currently a Consultant Urologist at St Bartholomew's Hospital in London, he was awarded an MBE in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours list for his services to the NHS.
Video appointments now available. Book now.
About Professor Francis Chinegwundoh
Professor Francis Chinegwundoh MBE MBBS MS MML(Medical Law) FRCS(Eng) FRCS(Ed) FRCS(Urol) FEBU has been a Consultant Urologist at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London and the London NHS Trust and Newham University Hospital NHS Trust since 1996 (since 1 April 2012 merged as Barts Health NHS Trust). He is a former Clinical Director of Surgery and Anaesthesia at Newham University Hospital NHS Trust.
Professor Chinegwundoh is an honorary visiting professor at City University London and an honorary clinical senior lecturer at Queen Mary College University of London. In addition, he is a Recognised Teacher of the University of London and a visiting Professor of Urology to University Hospital of Enugu, Nigeria.
In November 2012, Professor Chinegwundoh appeared on the Sky comedy programme An Idiot Abroad 2. He gave the reluctant Karl Pilkington a prostate examination.
Professor Chinegwundoh also discussed the potential of a national screening program for prostate cancer in a Daily Mail article. Read the article here.
Professor Chinegwudoh deals with diseases of the urinary/reproductive tracts in men and with urinary disease in women. His clinical interests include:
- Erectile dysfunction – able to offer all the treatments available including penile implants
- Frenuloplasty – preserving the foreskin
- Male infertility – full assessment, sperm retrieval where warranted
- Premature ejaculation
- Peyronies disease – including penile straightening surgery
- Reversal of vasectomy
- Scrotal swellings – such as hydrocele, epidididymal cysts, varicocele
- Testicular abnormalities including cancer
- Undescended testis
- Haematuria (blood in the urine) – an emergency service
- Overactive bladder
- Recurrent urinary tract infections – can offer intravesical treatment
- Urinary retention
- Urinary symptoms assessment – including flexible cystoscopy and urodynamics
- Urinary stone disease – including assessment, ureteroscopy, external lithotripsy
Specialist procedures offered by Professor Chinewudoh include:
- Prostate cryotherapy. Professor Chinegwundoh introduced this method of treating primary and recurrent prostate cancer into his institution. He is an accredited trainer. He has published the outcomes of treatment. There are relatively few specialists in this treatment modality in the UK.
- Prostate low dose rate brachytherapy. He trained in Seattle where this treatment modality for prostate cancer was developed. He introduced it to the North East London Cancer Network. He has a tertiary level referral practice. A day case procedure with a rapid return to work with excellent cancer control.
- PSA testing. This is an area of complexity which Professor Chinegwundoh is well placed to guide patients in the merits of screening for prostate cancer. He is a government advisor on prostate cancer (since 2007).
- Template transperineal prostate biopsies. A tertiary level referral practice for what is now the gold standard for establishing a diagnosis of prostate cancer.
- TVT (Tension-free Tape) for urinary incontinence
- TUNA (Transurethral Needle Ablation) for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Urolift. A new minimally invasive treatment for the enlarged prostate gland.
Initial consultation: £260
Follow up consultation: £260
Video consultation: £260
Second optional meeting: £260
Professor Chinegwundoh is much in demand for medico-legal work and has a national and international practice (Hong Kong, Australia, Ireland). He completed a Masters in Medical Law at Glasgow University in 2010.
Professor Chinegwundoh has a research interest in prostate cancer.
Book an appointmentBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Professor Francis Chinegwundoh MBE is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MBBS, MS, MML(Med Law), FRCSEng, FRCSEd, FRCS(Urol), FEBU
Qualified in 1984 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 2854373 Date of registration: 01-Aug-1985
Memberships and associations
Professor Francis Chinegwundoh MBE is a member of the following professional associations and organisations...