Discover why some men are some men at greater risk for prostate cancer than others.
0207 ... 0207 157 9751 Reveal phone no. >
Marc Laniado: Consultant Urologist in London & Windsor
Mr Marc Laniado is an expert consultant urologist practising in Harley Street, London. He has specialised in successfully treating men suffering from prostate cancer or prostate enlargement for over 15 years. His mission is to restore his patients back to full health as soon as possible after being threatened by prostate cancer or disturbed by urinary symptoms. He does this by focusing on the man’s problems and compassionately applying his experience and judgement with the most modern tests and technology available.
Expert treatment for prostate cancer and prostate enlargement
If you suffer from prostate cancer or prostate enlargement, Mr Laniado aims to return you to as healthy a life as possible. To achieve this, he uses the following techniques to maximise the benefit and minimise the side-effects:
Prostate Cancer diagnosis that is safe and reliable:
- Multiparametric MRI and targeted transperineal prostate biopsies
- Biomarkers if there is uncertainty if cancer is present or not (SelectMDx)
Prostate cancer treatments either to part or all the prostate as appropriate:
- Retzius-sparing prostatectomy with nerve sparing & frozen section (NeuroSAFE): the fastest way to recover continence, preserve erections and remove cancer more reliably
- Partial ablation (also known as focal therapy) of the prostate with High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU): for treating only that part of the prostate with cancer and protecting the rest including the nerves and other vital structures.
- Brachytherapy: radioactive seed therapy
- Enhanced active surveillance with biomarkers (Prolaris)
Prostate enlargement - treatments that improve urinary symptoms & can preserve ejaculation:
- UroLift and Rezum (water-vapour ablation of the prostate - also known as ‘steam cleaning the prostate’)
- Aquablation – high-speed water jet ablation (also known as ‘power jet cleaning for the prostate’)
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP)
Training and experience
Mr Laniado has been a consultant urologist since 2002, working on Harley Street and at the surrounding hospitals. Over the last 25 years, he has developed and delivered techniques for prostate problems extensively for private patients and NHS patients. His focus has always been on new and potentially better ways to treat his patients using an individualised approach. Over the years, he has performed keyhole surgery with and without robotics, delivered treatments without incisions by passing energy through the skin or other structures, and made use of unique energy forms.
As he is a full-time clinician not distracted by other responsibilities, highly experienced consultant urologist Mr Laniado's time is spent wholly on the needs of his patients, who have given him numerous 5-star reviews on patient review websites.
He studied at Guy’s Hospital Medical School between 1983 and 1989, where he obtained a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery as well as a BSc(Hons) in physiology. He finished urological specialist training in London in 2002, during which time he also obtained an MD for research into why prostate cancer cells that can spread to bones are like nerve cells, and completed the FRCS(Urol) exit exam.
Before starting as a consultant in 2002, he spent time at the Cleveland Clinic acquiring minimally invasive surgical skills. Mr Laniado is now the prostate cancer lead in his hospital and has been recognised as a leading urologist, winning many awards in recent years for outstanding work, including:
- Gilbert Bursary 2003
- British Urological Foundation Fellowship 2003
- Silver Medal in Basic Surgical Sciences of FRCS 1990
- Queen Charlottes and Hammersmith Special Health Authority Research Award 1992
Mr Laniado is a renowned specialist at providing expert treatment for prostate problems and minimising any potential side effects. As a full-time clinician without other distractions, more than 90% of his time is devoted to helping men with prostate problems. He offers a totally personalised approach, treating each patient as an individual, and tailoring the treatment to meet their specific needs and specifically to preserve continence and erections.
He has a unique set of professional skills which he utilises to help treat men suffering from prostate and urinary problems. Mr Laniado is able to administer and perform a number of advanced diagnostic tests and treatments, including:
- Brachytherapy for prostate cancer
- Enhanced MRI scanning of the prostate to identify prostate cancer without biopsies
- Focal therapy for prostate cancer (HIFU)
- Laser prostatectomy (HoLEP)
- MRI-targeted transperineal prostate biopsies
- Nerve-sparing robotic prostatectomy (adapted for maximum continence preservation)
Mr Laniado is the local NHS cancer lead for prostate cancer, and has developed innovative pathways and treatments to benefit all men at risk of prostate cancer. For patients at risk of prostate cancer Mr Laniado uses multiparametric MRI to diagnose the severity of the risk and decide whether the patient requires further investigations, such as MRI-targeted transperineal prostate biopsies.
Marc Laniado is able to offer focal therapy with HIFU when appropriate, as a measure to help preserve bladder control and erections. If the cancer is unsuitable for these techniques, he has a number of other treatment options such as brachytherapy or nerve- sparing robotic prostatectomy using the newly-developed retzius-sparing technique to preserve continence almost completely, and better than any other surgical approach to prostatectomy.
Urinary Symptoms Prostate Enlargement (BPH)
To allow men to sleep better and be active during the day and night without being bothered by urinary symptoms, Mr Laniado inserts UroLifts into the prostate, enabling a rapid return to normality, including ejaculation. This is done as a day-case and without a catheter in most men.
Some men with either very large prostates or with a special configuration known as a median lobe may require a laser prostatectomy, as they do not respond well to UroLift insertion. Laser prostatectomy is done as a day-case sometimes, or overnight stay, and produces the fastest urinary flow with better emptying and less bleeding than other procedures.
Mr Marc Laniado charges £240 for initial consultation, and £150 for follow up consultations.
In the press
Marc Laniado is a highly regarded consultant urologist and has frequently featured in a number of news items and articles, a few of which can be seen below.
- Are men dying needlessly because we don't make all over-50s have prostate tests? - Mail Online
- The wonder cures in your kitchen cupboard that REALLY work: From using aloe vera to cure migraines to how a rolling pin can banish snoring - Mail Online
- The prostate cancer operation that won't leave you incontinent - Mail Online
- Left in peril, the men told: You're too young for a prostate test - Mail Online
What patients say about Marc Laniado
Mr Laniado has been first class with his advice pre op and post op after discovering I had prostate cancer. Following his advice has helped me to return to a normal life. He has been reassuring through out my journey and has have great personality.
Book an appointment
0207 ... 0207 157 9751 Reveal phone no. >
pa@sa... email@example.com revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Marc Laniado is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MD FRCS(Urol) FEBU
Qualified in 1989 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 3343931 Date of registration: 01-Aug-1990
Memberships and associations
Marc Laniado is a member of the following professional associations and organisations...