- Doctors and health professionals
- East of England
- Ramanathan Elayaperumal (Dr Ram)
07877... 07877195139 Reveal phone no. >
Ramanathan Elayaperumal (Dr Ram): Consultant Psychiatrist in Colchester, Ipswich and Chelmsford
Known as Dr Ram, Dr Ramanathan Elayaperumal is a Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry for the Home Treatment Team with Essex Partnership University NHS Trust. He offers private treatment for a wide range of adult mental health conditions, including assessment and management of Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), stress disorders, anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), depressive illness and psychosis, at Oaks Hospital in Colchester, Essex and Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital, Suffolk and Priory Hospital Chelmsford, Essex. Dr Ram has admitting rights to Priory Hospital Chelmsford.
Video appointments now available. Book now.
Please enquire to my secretary Emerald Hughes for further details
Experience and training
Dr Ram graduated from The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University in 2000 and completed his MD in Psychiatry at the same institution in 2005. He became a Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK 2009.
Dr Ram completed his higher specialty training in General Adult Psychiatry at North Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust within the East of England Deanery, gaining his Certificate of Completion of Training in General Adult Psychiatry from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2012. He is currently a Consultant Psychiatrist for the Home Treatment Team with Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
In addition to being a Consultant Psychiatrist, Dr Ram is also a Royal College Tutor and is responsible for the organisation and delivery of education, high-quality training and learning opportunities for post graduate trainees in psychiatry within Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
Dr Ram regularly gives talks to GPs on subjects such as antidepressants, bipolar affective disorder and anxiety disorder. He is the founder of an informal charitable organisation focusing on education and health called ‘Jagadh Seva’.
Dr Ram is committed to ongoing training and learning in order to best help and support others. He has recently gained the Areteway diploma in positive psychology and coaching and will become an 'Alcohol Free coach' in July 2022. He is currently undertaking a course to become a practitioner of the Naomi Newland Emotional Freedom Technique and has recently enrolled on her course to learn to support women to feel 'MORE THAN ENOUGH'. He is also due to be accredited to teach meditation to children and young adults through the Connected Kids Programme.
Dr Ram believes in delivering holistic care in a compassionate manner, always striving to understand a patient's difficulties from their shoes and trying his best to alleviate their suffering.
Conditions & treatments
Dr Ram provides expert treatment for a wide range of adult mental health conditions, including:
- Assessment and management of Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Stress disorders: acute stress reaction; adjustment disorder with depressive symptoms; post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety disorders: panic attacks; social phobia, generalised anxiety disorder; agoraphobia
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Depressive illness: recurrent depression; stress-related depression; neurotic depression; endogenous depression; mixed anxiety and depression
- Bipolar affective disorder (manic depressive illness): mania; hypomania; depression; sub-syndromal depression; mixed affective disorder
- Psychosis and related disorders: schizophrenia; schizoaffective disorder; drug induced psychosis; stress-induced psychosis; psychotic depression
- Personality disorders: emotionally unstable (borderline) personality disorder
- Sleep and anger problems
- Alcohol related illness
He has a special interest in the diagnosis and management of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and other anxiety disorders including social anxiety/social phobia, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), generalised anxiety disorder (GAD), and panic attacks.
- Comprehensive psychiatric assessment – Dr Ram will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health and GMC guidelines and will send you a copy of the full assessment (you can opt out if you do not wish to have a copy of the assessment)
- Prescribing mental health medications including antidepressants, anxiolytics, hypnotics, sedatives, antipsychotics, and mood stabilisers. Dr Ram will explain the purpose, benefits and likely side effects of the medications and will work with you collaboratively enabling you to make an informed choice. Dr Ram will carefully choose the medications appropriate for your problems bearing in mind the current evidence base, response to the medications in the past, side effects, concurrent physical health problems, pregnancy and breast feeding (where applicable) and drug-drug interactions
- Monitoring response to treatment
- Dr Ram uses various psychological techniques in his practice:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for depression and anxiety disorders
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy for OCD- Systematic desensitisation for social anxiety/phobia
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) therapy for PTSD
- Clinical hypnotherapy
- Relaxation/breathing exercise
- Dr Ram will refer to you a psychologist or counselling services or to the secondary mental health services where appropriate and necessary
Consultation and fees
Dr Ram is available for private consultation Monday 5pm - 8pm at Oaks Hospital in Colchester, Essex; Saturdays 9am to 12pm at Priory Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex and Tuesday 5pm - 8pm at Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital in Ipswich, Suffolk. Ad hoc appointments are also available, by arrangement.
Initial Assessment: £350
Follow up Review Appointments: £150
Dr Ram’s research work for his MD in Psychiatry resulted in his dissertation ‘Comparative study of aggressive behaviour among schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder – mania’.
What patients say about Dr Ram
Dr Ram constructively helped me come to terms with and successfully manage my mental health. He is a very approachable, knowledgeable, thoughtful and sincere individual. Due to the way Dr Ram conducted himself I was able to open up and discuss my issues and concerns with ease and without feeling any judgment or prejudice. Dr Ram was able to prescribe the right medication that my GP couldn't based on his understanding of me and my issues. I cannot praise Dr Ram enough for his help and support over the past several months.by DCJT
Book an appointment
07877... 07877195139 Reveal phone no. >
emera... firstname.lastname@example.org revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Ramanathan Elayaperumal (Dr Ram) is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry), MRCPsych, CCT (General Adult Psychiatry)
Qualified in 2000 in India
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 6083429 Date of registration: 16-Nov-2006