- Doctors and health professionals
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- East of England
- David Elliot
Consultant Plastic and Hand Surgeon
01621... 01621 857 362 Reveal phone no. >
David Elliot: Consultant Plastic and Hand Surgeon in Essex
Mr David Elliot is the senior hand surgeon at the St. Andrew's Centre for Plastic Surgery, Chelmsford, the major trauma unit for Essex and East London and the largest hand trauma unit in the UK. Regarded as a leader in his field, he also runs a hand clinic at the Spire Wellesley Hospital in Southend-on-Sea specialising in secondary trauma surgery, rheumatoid and osteoarthritis surgery of the hand, nerve compression and pain surgery and Dupuytren's contracture.
Training and experience
Mr Elliot was educated at The Edinburgh Academy, St. John’s College, Oxford and St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London. He was an Oxford scholar and is a holder of the Kay-Kilner prize of the BAPS (British Association of Plastic Surgeons) and the Pulvertaft prize of the BSSH (British Society for Surgery of the Hand). Mr Elliot is the author of over 120 publications in the fields of plastic and hand surgery and is a frequently invited speaker worldwide on hand surgical topics.
Mr Elliot has held an A merit award in the NHS and is a past President of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand, a past Editor of the European Journal of Hand Surgery, a past examiner of the Diploma of Hand Surgery of the Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand and a past chairman of the Flexor Tendon Committee of the International Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand. He is a past member of the Council of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (2000-2003). He speaks abroad regularly on hand surgical topics and has held visiting professorships of hand surgery in Australia, India, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA. He is also an Associate Professor of Hand Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.
Mr Elliot is a highly regarded and experienced plastic and reconstructive surgeon, with an international reputation in the field of hand trauma and repair. As a specialist hand plastic surgeon he is able to offer expert treatment for:
- Carpal tunnel and other nerve compression syndromes
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Hand trauma and fractures, including repair of the flexor and extensor tendons of the hand, the repair of nerve injury, treatment of hands damaged by cuts, crushing, animal bites, sports injuries and rheumatoid arthritis
- Melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer
- Nerve pain secondary to hand trauma
- Osteoarthritis of the hand
- Rheumatoid arthritis of the hand
- Trigger finger
Mr Elliot has a busy medico-legal practice focusing on hand surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery (scar management).
- Open Scholarship in Medicine to St. John's College, Oxford 1969-1973
- British Burns Association Prize, 1984
- West of Scotland Surgical Association Prize, 1984
- British Association of Plastic Surgeons, Kay-Kilner Prize, 1985
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand, Pulvertaft Prize, 1987
Mr Elliot's current research interests include Dupuytren's disease, flexor and extensor tendon surgery, peripheral nerve pain surgery and nerve compression surgery.
- Elliot,D. The history of Dupuytren’s disease. British Journal of Hand Surgery, 13B: 246-253, 371-378 and 14B: 25-31.
- Elliot,D. and Yii, N.W. Homodigital reconstruction of the digits : the perspective of one unit. Hand Chirurgie, Mikrochirurgie, Plastische Chirurgie, (2001), 33: 7-19.
- Elliot, D. Primary flexor tendon repair - operative repair, pulley management and rehabilitation. British and European Journal of Hand Surgery, (2002), 27B: 507-514.
- Elliot D. Painful neuromas of the wrist and hand. Surgical Techniques in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (2005).
What patients say about David Elliot
Mr Elliot and his secretaries were very helpful during my recent operation. He and his secretaries have the patience of saints never complaining at my numerous telephone calls, queries and worries prior to my procedure, where other professionals haven’t been. They even phoned to check on my recovery. Looking forward to having my second operation with him, as know I am in good hands with him and his secretaries.May 2018
Book an appointment
01621... 01621 857 362 Reveal phone no. >
info@... email@example.com revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
David Elliot is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MA, BM, BCh, FRCS
Qualified in 1975 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 2251822 Date of registration: 02-Aug-1976