Healthy children after recurrent miscarriages
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
020 7... 020 7435 5417 Reveal phone no. >
Demetrios Economides: Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist in London
Based at The Birth Company, 137 Harley Street, Demetrios Economides is a Consultant Obstetrician and Private Gynaecologist with over 34 years clinical experience. He is particularly experienced in the field of 3D/4D scans, and a whole range of private obstetrics and delivery procedures, including the management of miscarriage.
About Mr Demetrios Economides
Mr Demetrios Economides is a Greek Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist at the Royal Free Hospital, London, and Senior Lecturer in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the Royal Free and University College School of Medicine.
Internationally recognised as an authority on obstetric ultrasound and problems in early pregnancy, Mr Economides offers pregnancy scanning at three private hospitals in London and a private outpatient clinic in Harley Street. He is also provides expert prenatal testing, care and advice on recurrent miscarriages, pregnancy care and birth and gynaecology scans and surgery.
Demetrios Economides is a fluent Greek speaker in the London area and treats many Greek patients.
- Private birth
- Pregnancy care
- Pregnancy scanning, including 3D/4D ultrasound
- Nuchal translucency and Down's syndrome screening
- Non-invasive prenatal testing (the Harmony test)
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Gynaecology scans and surgery
Private pregnancy scanning
Mr Economides is the founder of Myscan, a service that offers private pregnancy scanning performed by expert and highly experienced staff, using the latest ultrasound technology, including 3D and 4D scanning. Myscan is available at four convenient locations in London: The Royal Free Hospital, The Portland Hospital, The Hospital of Saint John and Saint Elisabeth, and The Birth Company at 137 Harley Street.
Pregnancy ultrasound scans
MyScan offers the full range of pregnancy and fetal screening scans, including:
Fetal viability scan: performed at 6-10 weeks this scan establishes that there is a viable embryo present and that the pregnancy is not ectopic. The number of embryos can also be determined.
- Nuchal translucency scan: a screening scan to detect Down's syndrome. 90% effective when used in conjunction with the mother's age and a blood test, this scan must be performed between 11 and 14 weeks.
- Fetal anomaly scan: performed at 20-22 weeks, this scan can detect up to 70% of serious fetal abnormalities. As an expert in Fetal Medicine, Mr Economides is available to offer advice should any problem be detected.
- Fetal wellbeing scan: this scan is used to determine that a baby is growing and moving as expected, that the placenta is correctly positioned and there is sufficient amniotic fluid, and that the blood flow to the placenta and fetus is healthy. It is usually performed at 24-42 weeks, but can be performed at regular intervals in high risk or problematic pregnancies.
- Cervical competence scan: performed at regular intervals if necessary, from 12 to 34 weeks, to check that the cervix is not opening prematurely.
Expert 3D and 4D ultrasound scanning
Mr Economides is one of the country's leading experts on the use of 3D and 4D ultrasound scanning in pregnancy, and conducts all such scans performed at Myscan personally. Although not a replacement for the series of 2D antenatal ultrasound scans, 3D and 4D scanning produces a lifelike image of the fetus where some parts of the body, for example the face, can be clearly seen and detailed movements can be observed. These scans are usually performed between 25 and 32 weeks and cost £100. Mr Economides makes a full check of the baby and provides a detailed scan report. Many people also enjoy 'meeting' their baby for the first time this way, and a DVD recording and colour photographs are also provided as part of the service.
In addition to his experience and expertise in obstetric ultrasound, Mr Economides has a special interest in the care of women who have experienced recurrent miscarriages. He offers a variety of options for care after miscarriage, including medication and surgery, as well as advice on the emotions of those involved. He advises women to contact him if they fall pregnant again after a miscarriage and are concerned. He can provide advice and support in the early stages of pregnancy and can also arrange an early scan for peace of mind.
Conditions and treatments
Mr Demetrios Economides provides a comprehensive pregnancy scanning service, as well as a range of private obstetric and gynaecological services.
Conditions treated include:
- Abdominal pain
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Episiotomy and tears
- Heavy period
- Hypothyroidism in pregnancy
- Morning sickness
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Thyroid problems in pregnancy
Mr Economides is actively involved in the training of obstetricians and gynaecologists at all levels and runs ultrasound workshops in both fields. He has published widely on his areas of interest and his current research interests include 3D ultrasound, miscarriage, fetal wellbeing and inherited blood disorders in women.
What patients say about Demetrios Economides
by V & M
Book an appointment
020 7... 020 7435 5417 Reveal phone no. >
info.... firstname.lastname@example.org revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Demetrios Economides is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
Qualified in 1980 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 2646853
Memberships and associations
Demetrios Economides is a member of the following professional associations and organisations...