Calls for government to fund research into Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome
020 8... 020 8357 1319 Reveal phone no. >
Pier David Lambiase: Consultant Cardiologist in London
Professor Pier Lambiase is a leading London cardiologist with a specialist expertise in heart rhythm disorders and pacemaker implantation. He offers expert assessment of symptoms such as palpitations, breathlessness, dizziness and blackouts, and management of common cardiac conditions including angina, heart failure, arrhymias, heart attack and heart valve disease. Prof Lambiase is currently located at The London Heart Centre on Wimpole Street.
Education and experience
One of the best heart surgeons in Britain, Professor Pier Lambiase is a Consultant Cardiologist specialising in the treatment of heart rhythm disorders and pacemaker implantation. He graduated from Oxford University in 1992 and trained in Cardiology at St Thomas’ and Hammersmith Hospitals. Following completion of a PhD in 2002 he undertook higher specialist training in Electrophysiology and became a Consultant Cardiologist & Senior Lecturer at the Heart Hospital, UCL in 2006 and was promoted to Reader in Cardiology in 2012. In October 2015, he then went on to be promoted to Professor of Cardiology at University College London (UCL). He was the British Cardiac Society Young Investigator (YI) in 2002 and finalist in the North American Pacing & Electrophysiology Society (NASPE) YI competition in the same year.
Professor Lambiase conducts research into the causes and treatment of inherited rhythm disturbances at at Barts Heart Centre, a state-of-the-art new facility that brings together the expertise of UCL's Heart Hospital and St Bart's London Chest Hospital. He runs a nationally-recognised SADS (Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome) clinic that offers screening to at risk families.
Professor Lambiase is the co-author of the Heart Rhythm UK Guidelines on genetic testing and the management of these conditions and has published over 80 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters in Cardiology. He is an Editor of the Oxford Handbook of Inherited Cardiovascular Disease and the Panel Lead for the Royal College of Physicians Map of Medicine pathways in arrhythmia management.
- Ablation of atrial fibrillation
- Ablation frontiers technology
- Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC)
- Inherited arrhythmia disorders
- Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) family screening
Conditions and treatments
Professor Lambiase specialises in the treatment of all arrhythmias and implants pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD’s) and biventricular devices for heart failure.
Conditions treated include:
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Heart attack
- Heart failure (acute)
- Heart murmurs
Professor Lambiase's main areas of expertise in cardiology involve treating patients with palpitations, breathlessness, black-outs and severe dizzy spells. He specialises in the treatment of all arrhythmias and implants pacemakers, internal cardiac defibrillators and biventricular devices for heart failure. He performs ablation of abnormal heart rhythms: Supraventricular arrhythmias (SVT) including atrial fibrillation (AF), atrial flutter, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome and ventricular tachycardia (VT). He treats patients with heart failure and manages rarer inherited arrhythmia syndromes including long QT Syndrome, Brugada Syndrome, Catecholiminergic Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT). He performs screening of families for these inherited arrhythmia disorders in a specialist SADS (Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome) clinic and treats patients with a previous cardiac arrest in whom no clear cause has been identified.
- Inherited arrhythmia disorders (long QT Syndrome, Brugada Syndrome, Catecholiminergic Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT)
- Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopthy (ARVC)
- Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome family screening (SADS)
- Ablation of atrial fibrillation using conventional techniques and Ablation Frontiers technology
- Improvement of atrial fibrillation ablation by targeting triggers employing novel signal processing techniques
- Development of the s-ICD, a very small intra-cardiac defibrillator that is implanted under the skin of the chest wall, reducing the risk of infection and complications.
- Gimeno JR, Tomé-Esteban M, Lofiego C, Hurtado J, Pantazis A, Mist B, Lambiase P, McKenna WJ, Elliott PM. Exercise-induced ventricular arrhythmias and risk of sudden cardiac death in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J. 2009
- Lambiase,P.D. Ahmed,A.K, Ciaccio E.J., Chaubey S., Brugada R., Chow A.W., Lowe M.D., McKenna W.J. (Forthcoming). High density substrate mapping in Brugada Syndrome-the role of conduction and repolarization heterogeneities. Circulation 2009 Jul 14;120(2):106-17, 1-4. ISSN: 0009-7322
- Quarta,G., Lambiase,P.D., Elliott,P.M. Beyond sudden death in the athlete: identification of family members at risk. British Journal of Sports Medicine - 2009. ISSN: 0306-3674
- Segal O.S., Chow A.W., Lambiase,P.D.. Narrow and Broad QRS complexes: what is the mechanism? Heart Rhythm, 2009. ISSN: 1547-5271
- Gomes J., Lambiase,P. (2009). Gomes J, Lambiase PD. Putative druggable targets for selective enhancement of cardiac conduction. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 9(2), 154-159. ISSN: 1471-4892
- Lambiase, PD. Elliott PM. (2009). Genetic aspects and investigation of sudden death in young people. Clin Med. 2008 Dec;8(6):607-10. Clin Med. 8(6), 607-610. ISSN: 1914-9283
- Gomes J, Finlay M, Ahmed AK, Ciaccio EJ, Asimaki A, Saffitz JE, Quarta G, Nobles M, Syrris P, Chaubey S, McKenna WJ, Tinker A, Lambiase PD. Electrophysiological abnormalities precede overt structural changes in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy due to mutations in desmoplakin-A combined murine and human study.
- Eur Heart J. 2012 Aug;33(15):1942-53.
- Ginks MR, Shetty AK, Lambiase PD, Duckett SG, Bostock J, Peacock JL, Rhode KS, Bucknall C, Gill J, Taggart P, Leclercq C, Carr-White GS, Razavi R, Rinaldi CA. Benefits of endocardial and multisite pacing are dependent on the type of left ventricular electric activation pattern and presence of ischemic heart disease: insights from electroanatomic mapping Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2012 Oct;5(5):889-97.
What patients say about Pier David Lambiase
9pm on the 27th and we are HOME. Amazing that one can have such a procedure so quickly and efficiently . Please pass on my sincerest thanks to Dr. Lambiase , I am hugely grateful . Thank you also for your help In organising things so well.by David
Book an appointment
020 8... 020 8357 1319 Reveal phone no. >
amand... email@example.com revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Pier David Lambiase is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
BA, BM, BCh, PhD, MRCP(UK), NASPExAM
Qualified in 1992 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 3581218 Date of registration: 20-Jul-1993