Dr Oliver Segal features in The Times giving his reaction to the Rivaroxaban X-Vert trial
020 7... 020 7034 8278 Reveal phone no. >
Oliver Segal: Consultant Cardiologist in London
Based at the Harley Street Clinic, Dr Oliver Segal is a top London Consultant Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist specialising in managing patients with all types of heart rhythm problems, including atrial fibrillation, SVT, palpitations & irregular heart beats and black-outs. He is an expert in catheter ablation for all types of arrhymia and in implanting pacemakers, defibrillators, bi-ventricular devices and left atrial appendage occlusion devices.
Experience and expertise
A highly qualified consultant, Dr Segal has over 15 years of experience in his field of expertise. He has performed an extensive range of procedures including over 2000 ablations and more than 1000 device implant procedures. He was appointed a Consultant Cardiologist & Electrophysiologist at The Heart Hospital, UCLH in 2008 and moved to the Barts Heart Centre, St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in April 2015 , which has the largest Arrhythmia Centre in the Europe. He trained at the London Chest, St. Bartholomew’s, St. Mary’s and St. George’s Hospitals in London as well as completing a Fellowship at the world-renowned Electrophysiology Unit in London, Ontario in 2007 with Prof. George Klein. Dr Segal won first prize for his Doctorate research on ventricular tachycardia at the Heart Rhythm Society in San Francisco in 2004. He was appointed a Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society in 2012 and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 2013.
Since his appointment he has been one of the UK’s leading consultants, pioneering the use of the laser balloon for AF ablation and setting up the left atrial appendage occlusion device programme at UCLH for patients with AF who are intolerant of anticoagulants. He sits on the Heart Rhythm UK exam setting committee and is a director of a number of courses for trainee doctors and allied professionals.
Harley Street Clinic
Dr Segal sees outpatients in his consulting rooms at The Harley Street Clinic Diagnostic Centre. There is an extensive range of cardiac investigations available within the same building including echocardiograms, 24 hour ECGs, exercise testing, 24 hour blood pressure monitor fittings and pacemaker checks which can usually be undertaken immediately before or after the consultation. Dr Segal also performs Reveal Linq device insertion at the Diagnostic Centre, meaning hospital admission isn't required. Private patients who require hospital admission for investigations and treatments are admitted to The Harley Street Clinic, but Dr Segal also has admitting rights at Bupa Cromwell Hospital, London, St. Anthony’s Hospital in Cheam and BMI London Independent Hospital in Stepney.
Dr Segal offers expert assessment and treatment of heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation and flutter, dizzy spells and blackouts, palpitations and supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) using the latest treatments and technologies, including:
- Biventricular device insertion
- Catheter ablation of all types of arrhythmia
- Internal loop recorder insertion for diagnosis and blackouts or stroke
- Lead extraction
- Left atrial appendage occlusion device insertion
- Medtronic Micra Leadless pacemaker
- Reveal Linq insertion
- The Watchman Device
In the Media
Dr Segal is often asked to comment in the media on matters relating to cardiology, most recently featuring in Choice Magazine, The Times and on BBC2's 'Inside Harley Street' series.
Dr Segal remains active in research and has been the primary investigator for a number of national and international research studies and has more than 40 peer reviewed publications. Latest publications include:
- Providencia R, Teixeira C, Segal OR, Ullstein A, Lambiase PD. Call for joint informed consent in athletes with inherited cardiac conditions. Open Heart. 2017 Jan 30;4(1):e000516.
- Providencia R, Craveiro Barra S, Papageorgiou N, Ioannou A, Rogers D, Wongwarawipat T, Falconer D, Duehmke R, Colicchia M, Babu GG, Segal O, Sporton S, Dhinoja M, Ahsan SY, Ezzat M. Dual-site Right Ventricular Pacing in Patients Undergoing Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: Results of a Multicentre Propensity Matched Analysis. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2017 Jul 21. doi: 10.1111/pace.13145.
- Providencia R, Segal OR. Is it time to loosen the restrictions on athletes with cardiac disorders competing in sport? Br J Sports Medicine 2017 (in press)
- Honarbakhsh S, Providencia R, Srinivasan N, Ahsan S, Lowe M, Rowland E, Hunter RJ, Finlay M, Segal O, Earley MJ, Chow A, Schilling RJ, Lambiase PD. A propensity matched case-control study comparing efficacy, safety and costs of the subcutaneous vs. transvenous implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Int J Cardiol 2016;228:280-285
- Papageorgiou N, Providência R, Srinivasan N, Bronis K, Moscoso Costa F, Cavaco D, Adragao P, Tousoulis D, Hunter R, Schilling R, Segal OR, Chow AW, Rowland E, Lowe M, Lambiase PD. Adenosine-guided pulmonary vein isolation versus conventional pulmonary vein isolation in patients undergoing atrial fibrillation ablation: an updated meta-analysis. Int J Cardiol 2016;227:151-160
- Betts TR, Leo M, Panikker S, Kanagaratnam P, Koa-Wing M, Davies DW, Hildick-Smith D, Wynne DG, Ormerod O, Segal OR, Chow AW, Todd D, Cabrera Gomez S, Kirkwood GJ, Fox D, Pepper C, Foran J, Wong T. Percutaneous left atrial appendage occlusion using different technologies in the United Kingdom: A multicenter registry. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;15:484-492
- Providência R, Teixeira C, Segal OR, Ullstein A, Elliott P, Lambiase DP. A Call for Joint Informed Consent in Athletes with Inherited Cardiac Conditions. Open Heart 2016 (in press)
- Providência R, Boveda S, Defaye P, Segal O, Algalarrondo V, Sadoul N, Lambiase P, Piot O, Klug D, Perier MC, Bouzeman A, Barra S, Bories MC, Gras D, Fauchier L, Bordachar P, Babuty D, Deharo JC, Leclercq C, Marijon E, DAI-PP Investigators. Outcome of Primary Prevention Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Therapy According to New York Heart Association Functional Classification. AM J Cardiol 2016;118:1225-1232
- Babu, GG, Webber M, Providência R, Kumar S, Gopalamurugan AB, Rogers D, Daw H, Ahsan S, Khan F, Chow A, Lowe M, Rowland E, Lambiase P, Segal OR. Ventricular Arrhythmia Burden in Patients with Heart Failure and Cardiac Resynchronization Devices - The Importance of Renal Function. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2016 (in press)
- Srinivasan NT, Orini M, Simon RB, Providência R, Khan F, Segal OR, Babu G, Bradley R, Rowland E, Ahsan S, Chow AW, Lowe M, Taggart P, Lambiase P. Ventricular stimulus site influences dispersion of depolarization in the intact human heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2016; 311:H545-54
- Providencia R, Elliott P, Patel K, McCready J, Babu G, Srinivasan N, Bronis K, Papageorgiou N, Chow A, Rowland E, Lowe M, Segal OR, Lambiase PD. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Heart 2016; 102:1533-4
- Opel A, Segal OR. “Cardiac pacing and implantable cardioverter/defibrillators” in Oh’s Intensive Care Manual (7th Edition), (Eds.) A Bersten & N Soni. Butterworth, Heinemann, Elsevier 2014
- Segal OR, Linton NF, Malcolme-Lawes L, Davies DW. “Three-Dimenisonal Cardiac Mapping Techniques in Catheter Ablation” in Electrophysiological Disorders of the Heart, Chapter 92, 1319-1328. (Eds.) Saksena S and Camm AJ. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, USA, 2012
- Segal OR, Koa-Wing M, Jarman J, Peters NS, Markides V, Davies DW. “Intracardiac Mapping” in Comprehensive Electrocardiology (2nd Edition), (Eds.) Camm AJC & MacFarlane PW. Springer 2010
- Segal OR, Markides V, Davies DW, Peters NS. “Temporary cardiac pacing” in Cardiac Pacemakers and Defibrillation: All you wanted to know (1st Edition), (Eds.) Chow AWC & Buxton AE. Blackwell 2006
- Markides V, Segal OR, Tondato F, Peters NS. “Mapping” in Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside (4th Edition), (Eds.) Zipes DP & Jalife J. WB Saunders 2004
What patients say about Oliver Segal
I would like to thank you for your assistance this past week. I found your website to be completely comprehensible to a lay person and extremely useful in my understanding of my condition. Our consultation was very helpful to me when it came to explaining the ablation procedure and the potential risks and benefits thereof. Also, and not least, in reassuring me psychologically. As to the procedure itself, I was most impressed with your approach, and indeed that of your entire team. All of you displayed the utmost professionalism, combined with courtesy, kindness and a sense of humour.by PB
Book an appointment
020 7... 020 7034 8278 Reveal phone no. >
pa@o... email@example.com revealBook a consultation now
Accreditation and admitting rights
Oliver Segal is an accredited consultant for the following hospitals, clinics and groups...
MB BS, MD
Qualified in 1995 in United Kingdom
Registrations and licensing
General Medical Council (GMC)
Registration no.: 4209250 Date of registration: 07-Aug-1996