Need private knee replacement surgery?
On Private Healthcare UK, you can find 148 private orthopaedic surgeons and 231 private hospitals offering knee replacements and if you’re paying for yourself, you could expect it to cost between £9,559 and £15,502. We have over 20 years' experience helping people to make the right choice about private healthcare.
- Should I go private?
- Find a doctor
- Find a hospital/clinic
- What does it cost?
- Am I covered by insurance?
- Do I need a GP referral?
What is a knee replacement?
Knee replacement (or arthroplasty) is a common operation carried out by an orthopaedic surgeon. A damaged knee joint is replaced by an artificial joint, with both sides of the knee joint being replaced in a total knee replacement. Recovery can take 6 to 8 months with physiotherapy an essential part of the process to regain full movement. Artificial joints typically last for 15 to 20 years.
Should I go private?
Choosing to go private for knee replacement surgery offers the following benefits:
- Gain access to fast treatment
- A choice of when you want to be treated
- A choice of where to be treated
- A choice of the consultant or private specialist
- Sometimes, access to options which may not be available on the NHS
Private Orthopaedic Surgeons in the UK
The following orthopaedic surgeons perform private knee replacement surgery in the UK.
Get advice from 3 of the leading private hospitals/clinics near you for free and get on the fast track to treatment.Fast Track >
How do I choose a private Orthopaedic Surgeon?
We recommend preparing a list of questions to ask the surgeon, you might want to ask:
- Can you provide a detailed profile of your background, experience and qualifications?
- When and where did you receive training in surgery?
- What is your position and role within the NHS?
- How many knee replacement operations do you undertake each year?
- Can I speak to any of your past patients to find out about their experience?
- How much do you charge for the initial consultation?
How much does knee replacement surgery cost?
Knee replacement surgery typically costs. £11,814. (between £9,559 and £15,502) at private hospitals and clinics in the UK. To get a more accurate cost, you can get a personalised quote from Private Healthcare UK.
What is included in the price?
In most cases, the following is included in the price, but you should double check exactly what is included:
- All medical and nursing care during your procedure
- Hospital fees
- Any drugs that you need while in the hospital
- Surgeon or consultant fees
The price is normally payable on or before admission to the hospital.
Is my private knee replacement covered by insurance?
If you have health or private medical insurance, you likely covered for this operation – you should check with your insurer and get a claim authorised before booking an appointment with a specialist.
Do I need a referral from my GP?
Many private knee surgeons are reluctant to see a patient requiring treatment unless there is a referral letter from your GP and we recommend checking with individual specialists to see if this is required or not. If you do not have a GP, many private hospitals can arrange for you to have an appointment with a private GP in their outpatient department.
The practicalities of going private
Your initial consultation is a good opportunity for you to ask any questions you have about the procedure. You should bring any test results with you so that you won't have to repeat expensive tests or scans - you can get these from your GP. If you are paying for yourself, you should be prepared to pay the consultation fee on the day. If you are insured, remember to bring your registration documents and proof of pre-authorisation.
Didn't find what you're looking for?
If you haven't found a knee surgeon or hospital near you, you might consider widening your search to further afield. Alternatively, you can take the hassle out of searching by using our fast track enquiry service - get personalised advice from three of the leading private hospitals/clinics near you for free and get on the fast track to treatment.
Follow us on social media
For more tips, recommendations and information about going private...
Find information on other websites
Authors and sources
- Private healthcare information reviewed by Keith Pollard, UK private healthcare expert and Executive Chairman of LaingBuisson International Limited
- Medical information reviewed by:
- Samantha Tross, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Reviewed on 24-07-2019; next review scheduled for 24-07-2022
- Price range calculated using costs sourced from: