The nose is a defining feature of the face, so how it looks can have a huge impact on your confidence. There can be several reasons why someone might consider undergoing a rhinoplasty procedure; to improve the size, shape of the nose or to help with breathing problems (nasal blockages).
What is a Rhinoplasty?
A Rhinoplasty or Nose Job is a plastic surgery procedure to correct and reconstruct the nose to improve its shape and size for aesthetic reasons or to correct nasal functions and a deviated septum.
With a Rhinoplasty procedure:
- The bridge of the nose can be narrowed and reshaped.
- The tip of the nose can be reshaped.
- The nostrils can be narrowed or widened.
- A patient’s side profile can be enhanced by reconstructing the nose.
- The nose can be reduced always in proportion to your natural facial features.
- Your breathing can be improved if you are suffering from nasal blockages.
What are the main types of Rhinoplasty?
There are different types of rhinoplasty available, depending on your case and desired results your surgeon will recommend the best technique for you.
- Standard rhinoplasty: This procedure involves the full correction of the nose bridge, the tip and the nostrils. There are two different options when it comes to rhinoplasty. The procedure can be performed via a small incision in the inside of the nose (closed rhinoplasty) or via an incision on the tissue that separates the nostrils (open rhinoplasty).
- Closed Rhinoplasty: involves making one or more incisions through the inside of the nose to then be able to lift the skin up from the nasal bone structure. The skin will remain lifted during the surgery whilst reconstructing the nose and once the surgery is finished the skin will be closed from the inside.
- Open Rhinoplasty: involves performing the type of same incisions that are made for a closed rhinoplasty plus another incision on the tissue that separates the nostrils (columella). This technique does leave a small scar in the columella but the scar will fade away over time making it barely noticeable.
- Septo-rhinoplasty: This procedure involves the full reconstruction of the nose as well as the correction of a deviated nasal septum. Deviated nasal septum can be a result of impact traumas to the face or can be due to congenital disorders such as Ehlers–Danlos syndrome and Marfan.
- Rhino-tip: This procedure consists in correcting the tip and alar bases (nostrils) of the nose. This procedure is ideal for patients who are looking to change the appearance of these areas without major alterations on the bridge of the nose.
- Preservation Rhinoplasty: This is an innovative procedure performed from the inside of the nose, all the incisions are completely hidden in the inside and there is no scarring. This procedure involves less downtime, less bruising and less swelling compared to traditional rhinoplasty. The surgery is less invasive technique compared to traditional rhinoplasty. To see before and after photos of this procedure visit The Private Clinic rhinoplasty page.
Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery procedure that can help enhance the natural features of the face. The Cosmetic Surgeons at The Private Clinic have extensive knowledge and experience performing rhinoplasty procedures and are able to achieve natural-looking results that complement their patient’s face.