Duncan J Watkinson: Consultant Shoulder surgeon, Portsmouth, Hampshire
Consultant Shoulder surgeont, Portsmouth, Hampshire: Duncan J Watkinson
Specialist in arthroscopic (key-hole) shoulder and elbow surgery, and reverse shoulder replacement.
Duncan Watkinson MB BS, FRCS(Tr & Orth) is a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon at Queen Alexandra Hospital and Spire Hospital Portsmouth.
He qualified as a doctor from Newcastle University in 1992 and moved to Southampton to undertake his higher surgical training on the Wessex Orthopaedic Rotation. He completed his training in shoulder and elbow surgery with a nine month fellowship in France, working with Professor Boileau. This allowed him to learn the latest keyhole techniques from one of the world's leading arthroscopic surgeons.
Mr Watkinson now specialises exclusively in shoulder and elbow problems and trauma. He places a strong emphasis on modern key-hole techniques and performs over three quarters of all operations arthroscopically. This has a number of potential benefits for patients including less scarring, less post-operative pain, and a more rapid recovery.
Shoulder and elbow replacement surgery
Mr Watkinson is an expert in conventional shoulder and elbow replacement surgery for both arthritis and complex fractures, but he has a particular interest in reverse shoulder replacement (RSR). He has published several papers on this subject, including a seminal article on the design and biomechanics of RSR. He is also the author of the chapter on reverse geometry shoulder replacement in the new edition of the Oxford Textbook of Trauma and Orthopaedics.
In 2005 he won the American Shoulder and Elbow Society’s prestigious Charles Neer Award for Shoulder Surgery for his work on reverse shoulder replacements.
Shoulder and elbow problems: treatments available
Mr Watkinson treats all acute and chronic conditions affecting the shoulder and elbow, including:
- Rotator cuff tendonitis (arthroscopic decompression)
- Rotator cuff tears (arthroscopic cuff repair)
- Calcific tendonitis (injection, arthroscopic decompression)
- Acromioclavicular joint arthritis (arthroscopic AC joint excision)
- Shoulder dislocation / instability (arthroscopic stabilisation)
- Frozen shoulder (arthroscopic release)
- Shoulder arthritis (shoulder replacement)
- Cuff tear arthritis (reverse shoulder replacement)
- Fractures (collar-bone, shoulder, humerus)
- Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow
- (injection, surgical release, Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy - ESWT)
- Elbow arthritis (arthroscopic osteocapsular release / resculpting, elbow replacement)
- Elbow stiffness
- Biceps tendon injuries
- Ulnar nerve compression
- Elbow Fractures
- Elbow dislocations and ligament injuries
- Arthroscopic cuff repair
- Arthroscopic osteocapsular release for elbow arthritis
- Reverse shoulder replacement
Reverse shoulder replacement
GMC Number: 3613599 Check this doctor's GMC registration
Date of Registration: 1 Aug 1993
Duncan Watkinson is an accredited consultant for the UK's leading private healthcare providers and private hospitals, including Spire Healthcare
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and their products and services. RRead Disclaimeread Disclaimer in full.