Dr Ari Kannivelu is a consultant paediatrician with expertise in paediatric cardiology. He consults for general paediatric health problems as well as providing diagnosis and non-invasive management for congenital and acquired heart diseases in children.
About paediatric specialist Ari Kannivelu
Dr Ari Kannivelu has been a consultant paediatrician in the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Trust since 2009.
He has expertise in paediatric cardiology and has developed secondary level paediatric cardiology service locally providing diagnostic/non-invasive service for heart problems in children. He works closely with Birmingham Children’s Hospital where he holds honorary contract providing shared care for children with complex heart diseases. He is actively involved in the development of guidelines/pathways for children with heart diseases through Paediatricians with Expertise in Cardiology special interest group (RCPCH/BCCA) and regional children’s cardiac network.
Dr Kannivelu has been a member of Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health since 2004. He completed MSc (paediatrics) in 2009 with merit score for his thesis on hyperventilation causing long QT. He completed his higher specialist training in paediatrics and neonates in West Midlands following his basic training in London, St George’s Hospital, Alderhey Children’s Hospital and Birmingham Children’s Hospital. He has had 2 years of training in tertiary paediatric cardiology in Leicester Glenfield Hospital and Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
Clinical interests in paediatric cardiology
Dr Kannivelu investigates children for congenital and acquired heart diseases (including assessment of heart murmur and cyanosis), provides cardiac screening/surveillance for family history of inherited heart diseases (eg. cardiomyopathy, aortopathy) and offers investigations for general paediatric problems where a cardiac diagnosis may be suspected (e.g.. Chest pain, breathlessness, syncope and palpitations).
Dr Kannivelu is also happy to provide routine cardiac screening for young athletes.
He is well experienced in transthoracic echocardiography, 12 lead ECG, ambulatory ECG and exercise tolerance test in children.
Publications and presentations
- Kannivelu A, Kudumula V, Bhole V. Effect of hyperventilation on rate corrected QT interval of children. Arch Dis Child Published Online First: 13 December 2012 doi:10.1136/archdischild-2012 302663
- Effect of hyperventilation on children investigated for possible long QT syndrome, British Congenital Cardiac Association (BCCA) annual meeting 2008
- Effect of exercise test on children investigated for suspected long QT syndrome, RCPCH annual meeting 2009. Arch Dis Child2009; 94(S):A54
- Transcatheter fenestration creation and stenting of the Fontan circuit – A single centre experience BCCA meeting (2008); PCCS 2009 (5th World Congress) Cairns, Australia
- Endocardial radiofrequency septal reduction – the other treatment option for HOCM in children, PCCS 2009 (5th World Congress) Cairns, Australia
- Use of CPAP in infants admitted with bronchiolitis in West Midlands, Paediatric Research Society Meeting 2008. Paediatrics and Child Health 2009; 19,4:190 – 198
- Predicting failure of CPAP in infants with bronchiolitis – experience from our regional audit, RCPCH annual meeting 2009. Arch Dis Child 2009; 94(S):A89
- The safety and efficacy of nasal continuous positive airwarys pressure (CPAP) in acute bronchiolitis, ERS Annual congress, Barcelona 2010
- Increased incidence of Congenital Anomalies in patients with mildly elevated TSH on Neonatal Screening, ESPE conference, Basel 2004. Journal Hormone Research; 62 (S2); P1-666
I will not be responsible for any third parties using my identity and practice profile to gain undue advantage. Please do not assume that the person is genuine without further clarification directly with me, as it has been brought to my attention that somebody is impersonating me using a false email address with my name and practice address. Dr A Kannivelu, August 2013
Accreditation and admitting rights at private hospitals
Mr. Arivalagan Kannivelu is an accredited consultant for the UK's leading
private healthcare providers and private hospitals, including Nuffield Health.
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information
published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and
their products and services. Read Disclaimer in full.