A Consultant Gynaecologist specialising in Menstrual disorders, Menopause minimal access surgery, endometriosis, pelvic floor disorders and other women's health problems.
Mrs Gokhale qualified from Mumbai at the Seth GS Medical College in 1989 and after a three year training scheme passed the doctor of medicine (MD) in obstetrics and gynaecology. Her UK training was in the West Midlands Deanery and South West Deanery. She obtained the MRCOG in 1996, an MSc at Warwick University in reproductive health in 2002, an RCOG/RCR diploma in advanced obstetric ultrasound, and certificate in gynaecological ultrasound in 2002. She completed her training in 2003. She has been a Consultant Gynaecologist and Obstetrician since 2003.
She has specialist expertise in the management of menstrual disorders, hysteroscopy, colposcopy, menopause and vulval disorders, and runs a weekly specialist clinic at Spire Hospital Cardiff and St Joseph’s Hospital, Newport. Her NHS practice is at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport. In addition to being fluent in English, she also speaks Hindi, Marathi and conversational Gujarati.
During her training Mrs Gokhale developed a special interest in the management of menopause and in her final years of training as Senior Registrar carried out research in the use of alternative medications in alleviating menopausal symptoms. She presented a paper on this at the International Menopause Society Conference at Berlin in 2002. The recent scares regarding HRT in the media are mostly unfounded and she feels there is a place for the use of HRT in appropriately selected patients with a specific clinical need.
As a complementary interest, she obtained training in gynaecological ultrasound and was one of the first few trainees to do so. She is a preceptor for MSC in ultrasound at Cardiff University and has had trainees for the past 3 years since the inception of the course. She keeps up to date by attending annual meetings of the British Menopause Society and British Society for Gynaecological Imaging.
Mrs Gokhale is interested in the overall management of patients with menstrual disorders and postmenopausal bleeding and has set up a successful one stop clinic in the NHS setting. Her training in gynaecological ultrasound improves the efficiency of care for her patients as she scans all her patients herself both in the NHS and privately. In addition her training in colposcopy and hysteroscopy complements her expertise in managing these patients.
Mrs Gokhale offers second generation endometrial ablation
procedures for menstrual disorders in addition to both abdominal and vaginal hysterectomy with repair for menstrual disorders and prolapse. She is trained in vaginal surgery and offers a range of surgeries for repair of prolapse including pelvic floor repairs
and sacrospinous fixation for vault prolapse. she also holds a multidisciplinary clinic for vulval disorders with a dermatologist in the NHS setting and is happy to see patients privately with these problems. She has also trained in laparoscopic hysterectomy
She provides care in both general gynaecology and her areas of special interest. she aims to provide high quality patient care that is up to date.
- Gokhale L. S. “ Pregnancy in a patient with vaginal septum.” A case report published in The Indian Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, July 1991.
- “A study on the perinatal outcome in post-dated pregnancies.” Accepted by the University of Bombay as a dissertation topic for the Masters degree in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1992.
- Gokhale L S, Sturdee D W. ‘Hormone Replacement Therapy’. Postgraduate Doctor – Caribbean, August 2000; 16(7): 327 – 333 (Paper)
- Sturdee D W, Gokhale L S.“The Hot Flush”, in ‘HRT and Skin’, Editor M Brincat, 2001 :85-109. Parthenon publication. London.
- Gokhale L S, Sturdee D W. “Recurrent vaginal adenocarcinoma”. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Sept 2001:21(5);541
- Gokhale L S, Cietak K A. Serum screening for anomalies: reasons for acceptance or refusal of the test. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. July 2002; 22 (4):392-3 Short Communication
- Gokhale L S, Sturdee D W, Parsons A D. Use of food supplements amongst women attending menopause clinics in the West Midlands. Journal Of British Menopause Society 2002
- Gupta P, Gokhale L. Hormone Replacement therapy. Postgraduate Doctor(Caribbean) Vol 20;5:143-147
Mrs Gokhale offers procedures such as hysteroscopy, D&C, total abdominal hysterectomy, vaginal hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair, insertion of mirena coil, vulval biopsy, diagnostic laparoscopy, treatment of endometriosis, and endometrial ablation including thermachoice and novasure.
Accreditation and admitting rights at private hospitals
Ms. Leena Gokhale is an accredited
consultant for the UK's leading private healthcare providers and private hospitals
including Spire Healthcare.
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information
published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and
their products and services. Read Disclaimer in full.