Dr Pier Lambiase is a Consultant Cardiologist (Heart Specialist), in London specialising in the treatment of angina (chest pain), heart attack, heart failure, high blood pressure and cholesterol, heart rhythm abnormalities and heart valve disease. He also specialises in the treatment of all arrhythmias and implants pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD’s) and biventricular devices for heart failure.
About Dr Lambiase, a London Cardiologist
Dr Lambiase is a Consultant Cardiologist specialising in the treatment of heart rhythm disorders and pacemaker implantation. He graduated from Oxford University in 1992 and trained in Cardiology at St Thomas’ and Hammersmith Hospitals. Following completion of a PhD in 2002 he undertook higher specialist training in Electrophysiology and became a Consultant Cardiologist & Senior Lecturer at the Heart Hospital, UCL in 2006 and was promoted to Reader in Cardiology in 2012. He was the British Cardiac Society Young Investigator (YI) in 2002 and finalist in the North American Pacing & Electrophysiology Society (NASPE) YI competition in the same year.
Pier Lambiase conducts research in the causes & treatment of inherited rhythm disturbances at the Heart Hospital and a nationally recognised SADS (Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome) clinic screening families. He has the co-written Heart Rhythm UK Guidelines on genetic testing and the management of these conditions and published over 80 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters in Cardiology. He is an Editor of the Oxford Handbook of Inherited Cardiovascular Disease and the Panel Lead for the Royal College of Physicians Map of Medicine pathways in arrhythmia management.
Expertise in arrhythmias, angina and other heart conditions
Dr Lambiase treats patients with palpitations, breathlessness, dizziness and blackouts (syncope). He has extensive experience in managing patients with all common cardiac conditions such as angina (chest pain), heart attack, heart failure, heart rhythm abnormalities and heart valve disease. He also regularly sees patients for cardiovascular risk assessment, treatment for high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
He specialises in the treatment of all arrhythmias and implants pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs - both conventional and recently licensed subcutaneous devices: S-ICDs: www.cameronhealth.com/product-info.htm and biventricular devices for heart failure.
Pier performs ablation of abnormal heart rhythms: Supraventricular arrhythmias (SVT) including atrial fibrillation (AF), atrial flutter, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome and ventricular tachycardia (VT). He manages rarer inherited arrhythmia syndromes including long QT Syndrome, Brugada Syndrome, Catecholiminergic Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT).
Dr Lambiase's research interests in cardiology and heart disease
Inherited arrhythmia disorders (long QT Syndrome, Brugada Syndrome, Catecholiminergic Polymorphic Ventricular Tachycardia (CPVT)
Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopthy (ARVC)
Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome family screening (SADS)
Ablation of atrial fibrillation using conventional techniques and Ablation Frontiers technology
Improvement of atrial fibrillation ablation by targeting triggers employing novel signal processing techniques
Reader in Cardiology and Consultant Cardiologist, Heart Hospital, UCL
|Clinical Lecturer in Electrophysiology, Heart Hospital, UCL Cardiology
Specialist Registrar, St Thomas’ Hospital, London
Clinical Research Fellow, St Thomas’ Hospital, London
Senior Lecturer in Electrophysiology
Oct 2004-Oct 2006
Oct 2002-Oct 2004
Apr 1999-Oct 2002
Oct 2006-Oct 2012
NW Thames Cardiology SpR Rotation
|Central Middlesex Hospital
Cardiology, Hammersmith Hospital
Cardiology/General Medicine, Ealing Hospital
Cardiology/General Medicine, Charing Cross and Hammersmith
Jan 96-Jul 96
Jul 96-Feb 98
Mar 98-Oct 98
Dec 98-Apr 1999
Key publications in cardiology
Dr Lambiase has published over 40 peer review papers, most recently:
- Gimeno JR, Tomé-Esteban M, Lofiego C, Hurtado J, Pantazis A, Mist B, Lambiase P, McKenna WJ, Elliott PM. Exercise-induced ventricular arrhythmias and risk of sudden cardiac death in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J. 2009
- Lambiase,P.D. Ahmed,A.K, Ciaccio E.J., Chaubey S., Brugada R., Chow A.W., Lowe M.D., McKenna W.J. (Forthcoming). High density substrate mapping in Brugada Syndrome-the role of conduction and repolarization heterogeneities. Circulation 2009 Jul 14;120(2):106-17, 1-4. ISSN: 0009-7322
- Quarta,G., Lambiase,P.D., Elliott,P.M. Beyond sudden death in the athlete: identification of family members at risk. British Journal of Sports Medicine - 2009. ISSN: 0306-3674
- Segal O.S., Chow A.W., Lambiase,P.D.. Narrow and Broad QRS complexes: what is the mechanism? Heart Rhythm, 2009. ISSN: 1547-5271
- Gomes J., Lambiase,P. (2009). Gomes J, Lambiase PD. Putative druggable targets for selective enhancement of cardiac conduction. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 9(2), 154-159. ISSN: 1471-4892
- Lambiase, PD. Elliott PM. (2009). Genetic aspects and investigation of sudden death in young people. Clin Med. 2008 Dec;8(6):607-10. Clin Med. 8(6), 607-610. ISSN: 1914-9283
- Gomes J, Finlay M, Ahmed AK, Ciaccio EJ, Asimaki A, Saffitz JE, Quarta G, Nobles M, Syrris P, Chaubey S, McKenna WJ, Tinker A, Lambiase PD. Electrophysiological abnormalities precede overt structural changes in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy due to mutations in desmoplakin-A combined murine and human study.
Eur Heart J. 2012 Aug;33(15):1942-53.
- Ginks MR, Shetty AK, Lambiase PD, Duckett SG, Bostock J, Peacock JL, Rhode KS, Bucknall C, Gill J, Taggart P, Leclercq C, Carr-White GS, Razavi R, Rinaldi CA. Benefits of endocardial and multisite pacing are dependent on the type of left ventricular electric activation pattern and presence of ischemic heart disease: insights from electroanatomic mapping Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2012 Oct;5(5):889-97.
Click here for a complete list of Dr Lambiase's publications.
Pier Lambiase in the media
Accreditation and admitting rights at private hospitals
Mr. Pier Lambiase is an accredited consultant for the UK's leading private healthcare providers and private hospitals including HCA Hospitals.
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and their products and services. Read Disclaimer in full.