John Payne is a Consultant Cardiologist (heart specialist) seeing cardiology patients privately at Ross Hall Hospital (Glasgow) and Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital. He welcomes referrals in all aspects of general cardiology. He has special expertise in imaging the heart with echocardiography and MRI.
Cardiologist in Glasgow: Dr John Payne
Dr Payne, BSc MB ChB (Edinburgh) MD (London), graduated from University of Edinburgh Medical School with Honours in 1996. Following basic medical training in the Western General Hospital and the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, he worked in research for 5 years at University College London and the Royal Brompton Hospital.
He returned to Scotland to receive high quality specialist training at the New Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. During this period he completed a Fellowship in advanced heart failure and cardiac transplantation in Glasgow.
He is now a Consultant Cardiologist based at the flagship Golden Jubilee National Hospital (NHS), BMI Ross Hall Hospital (private) and Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital (private). He is a national expert in heart failure assessment and treatment. He works in the Scottish National Advanced Heart Failure Service and is responsible for treating patients with severe heart failure in Scotland; such treatments include heart transplantation and artificial hearts.
Dr Payne is committed to research into heart disease and has published scientific papers over a 12 year period in a variety of journals. He has won awards including the British Medical Association prize for cardiovascular research (Edith Walsh).
He has written book chapters on subjects such as the genetics of physical and cardiac performance, and the management of patients with severe heart failure in intensive care.
He also has expertise in cardiac imaging, specifically echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) and cardiovascular magnetic resonance (MRI of the heart).
Dr Payne is responsible for the organisation of several national meetings including Scotland CMR and the Scottish mechanical circulatory support meeting.
Dr Payne's clinical interests in cardiology, chest pain and palpitation
Symptoms that Dr Payne has a clinical interest in:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart beat
- Slow heart beat
- Shortness of breath
As part of his private cardiology practice at BMI Ross Hall Hospital and Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital, Dr Payne treats a range of cardiology conditions. These include irregular heart beat, angina, heart attack, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation and cardiomyopathy. Other conditions Dr Payne covers are heart failure, transplantation, Ventricular Assist Device and heart valve disease.
- Left ventricular hypertrophy
- Heart failure
- Cardiovascular Genetics
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance
- Cardiac transplantation
- Dhamrait SS, Williams AG, Day SH, Skipworth JR, Payne JR, World M, Humphries SE, Montgomery HE. Variation in The Uncoupling Protein 2 and 3 Genes and Human Performance. J Appl Physiol. 2012 Jan 12.
- Huang S, Chen XH, Payne JR, Pennell DJ, Gohlke P, Smith MJ, Day IN, Montgomery HE, Gaunt TR. Haplotype of growth hormone and angiotensin I-converting enzyme genes, serum angiotensin I-converting enzyme and ventricular growth: pathway inference in pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2007 Apr;17(4):291-4.
- Payne JR, Dhamrait SS, Gohlke P, Cooper J, Scott RA, Pitsiladis YP, Humphries SE, Rayner B, Montgomery HE. The impact of ACE genotype on serum ACE activity in a black South African male population. Ann Hum Genet. 2007 Jan;71(Pt 1):1-7.
- Payne JR, James LE, Eleftheriou KI, Hawe E, Mann J, Stronge A, Banham K, World M, Humphries SE, Pennell DJ, Montgomery HE. The association of left ventricular mass with blood pressure, cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption; data from the LARGE Heart study. Int J Cardiol. 2007 Aug 9;120(1):52-8. Epub 2006 Oct 31.
- Payne JR, Eleftheriou KI, James LE, Hawe E, Mann J, Stronge A, Kotwinski P, World M, Humphries SE, Pennell DJ, Montgomery HE. Left ventricular growth response to exercise and cigarette smoking: data from LARGE Heart. Heart. 2006 Dec;92(12):1784-8. Epub 2006 Jun 27.
Accreditation and admitting rights at private hospitals
Mr. John Payne is an accredited consultant for the UK's leading private healthcare providers and private hospitals including BMI Hospitals and Nuffield Health.
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and their products and services. Read Disclaimer in full.