Mr. Azhar Shaida BM BCh (Oxon), MA (Cantab), FRCS-ORL (Eng), MD (London) is a Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon at The Royal National Throat, Nose, and Ear Hospital (RNTNEH), 330 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8DA.
Mr Shaida has received training in general surgical specialties as well as undergoing the full traditional ENT training, which allows him to deal with the full range of ENT problems including:
• Otology: Discharging ears, middle ear and mastoid surgery, ossiculoplasty and stapedectomy, balance disorders, tinnitus.
• Implantable hearing devices including cochlear implants, middle ear implants and bone anchored hearing aids.
• Nose and Sinus problems including rhinitis and nasal allergy, sinusitis, septal surgery, rhinoplasty, endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS), endoscopic DCR, endoscopic ligation for epistaxis, external approach sinus surgery.
• Children's ENT problems: Adenoid and tonsil problems, glue ear, nasal obstruction, throat problems, hearing problems.
• Head and Neck Surgery: Thyroid, parotid, salivary gland and other neck lumps, swallowing problems, suspected cancers.
Mr Shaida was awarded a scholarship to Cambridge University to study medicine in 1984. He transferred to Oxford University in 1987 to complete his clinical training and qualified in 1990.
Mr Shaida then trained in Oxford, London, and Cambridge and obtained the FRCS (General Surgery) before specialising in ENT surgery. He trained on the East Anglia rotation in Cambridge, Norwich and Ipswich and obtained the ENT fellowship and the FRCS-ORL. He was appointed to his consultant post at the RNTNEH in 2002.
Mr Shaida is fully trained in all aspects of ear nose and throat surgery, and has a special interest in ear surgery and cochlear implants at the RNTNEH. He also provided a full general ENT service and paediatric ENT service at Newham General Hospital until 2007 but is now based wholly at the RNTNEH where he has set up an implantable hearing devices clinic with his audiology colleague.
In addition to his BMBCh from Oxford and MA from Cambridge, Mr Shaida has general surgery and ENT fellowships from the Royal Colllege of Surgeons of England, and has been awarded his MD degree for his research work and thesis on metalloproteinases in rhinitis.
Mr Shaida has a special interest in ear problems including cochlear implants, sinus problems, children's ENT problems, revision surgery for previous failures, persistently discharging ears and difficult cases.
Mr Shaida treats children of all ages, although he only carries out surgery for very young children at certain sites. Treatment of proven cancers is carried out in a specialist head and neck cancer department with a multidisciplinary team including the surgeon, radiotherapist and oncologist.