Alliance Medical provides high quality PET scans across the UK. They have over 20 years' experience of delivering a broad range of mobile and static diagnostic imaging solutions. They operate the largest fleet of mobile MRI, PET/CT, X-ray, CT and Portable Ultrasound scanners in the UK.
PET scans and innovative diagnostic imaging across the UK
Alliance Medical continually develops innovative diagnostic imaging solutions both independently and in partnership with health providers. They employ over 400 Radiographers, with the ability to offer unrivalled contingency support to their customers. They are part of the Alliance Medical Group, which means that they enjoy the benefits of a larger European organisation, whilst retaining a solid understanding of UK customers.
What is a PET scan?
PET stands for Positron Emission Tomography. It's an imaging technique that uses small quantities of a radioactive tracer called 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose (similar to sugar), to produce images showing how your body is functioning. By combining CT and PET techniques in one scanner, Alliance Medical is able to provide images of your body that show your doctor both structural and functional information to help them plan an appropriate treatment for you.
Having a PET scan - it safe?
There is a small amount of radiation involved in the procedure, similar to other diagnostic scan procedures such as CT
. The risk associated with this is very small and it's considered that the risk of missing a serious problem if you don't have a PET/CT scan
is much higher.
What happens during a PET scan?
- You'll be given an injection of a tracer into a vein, usually your arm - this feels similar to a blood test
- After receiving the injection you'll need to rest and remain lying down for approximately 1 hour while the injection is absorbed into your body
- In the scanning room, you'll be asked to lie down on your back on the scanning bed
- The bed will move through the ring of the scanner and collect images for between 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the type of scan that you need
- The technician operating the scanner will be able to see and hear you at all times throughout the procedure
Read more about what happens when you go for a PET scan.
Other scanning services offered by Alliance Medical in the UK
How can I arrange for a PET scan with Alliance Medical?
Read more about how to organise your CT scan with Alliance Medical.
Alliance Medical locations in the UK
Find your nearest Alliance Medical location.
Contact Alliance Medical for PET scans in the UK
Alliance Medical Limited
Warwick Technology Park
Tel: 0845 045 0600
Intuition Communication Ltd bears no responsibility for information published on this website, which concerns or relates to advertisers and their products and services. Read Disclaimer in full.