According to Standard Life the top five places that people are retiring to are:
Andrew Tully of Standard Life comments, "Retiring abroad is a dream for many people but without careful planning and advice, things can potentially go wrong very quickly."
Top tips for retiring abroad:
- Inform your social security office when you move and provide your contact details abroad.
- Find out about welfare rights abroad. Some UK benefits are not payable outside the UK; others apply only in the EU or in countries, which have agreements with the UK.
- Tell your bank, building society and any other financial institution that you have a policy or agreement with them and are moving abroad.
- Contact your local council to let them know when you are leaving and leave a forwarding address.
- Find out more about healthcare costs in the country you want to move to.
- Inform your GP and dentist you are moving
- Consider private healthcare insurance