Standard Life says the top retirement hotspots outside the UK are, in order:
John Lawson of Standard Life comments: "Retiring abroad is a dream for many people, but does require careful planning and advice. Many people think living abroad is cheaper than living in the UK, but this isn't always the case.”
If retiring abroad:
- Tell your bank, building society and any insurer you have a policy with
- Contact your local council to let them know when you are leaving and leave a forwarding address
- Find out more about healthcare costs in the country you want to move to
- Inform your GP and dentist you are moving
- Consider private healthcare.