It is a natural human instinct to be drawn to people who smile. We are programmed to find them attractive, interesting and approachable!
Even if you don’t feel like it, there are some really great reasons to smile more:
- Smiling changes your mood – even if you are feeling down, the action of smiling can lift your mood. It can also relieve stress and make you look more positive, awake and alive
- Smiling is contagious – it’s hard not to return a smile
- Smiling boosts your immunity – possibly because you relax. It releases endorphins – natural pain killers and seratonin. It’s a natural feel-good drug
- Smiling lifts the face and make you look younger without any surgery
- Smiling makes you seem successful – smiling people appear more confident, approachable and likeable and are more likely to be promoted
There are lots of good reasons to smile, but sadly there are thousands of people who are reluctant to show off their teeth.
Not everybody has a perfect set of pearly whites. Whether it’s due to a lack of brushing and flossing, eating too many sugar loaded treats, smoking or too much caffeine, modern life can certainly take its toll on your teeth.
Perhaps this is the reason cosmetic dentistry has seen a significant rise in procedures over the last few years. Leading cosmetic surgery provider, The Hospital Group saw a surge in cosmetic dentistry enquiries at the start of 2011 with a 12% increase in patients requesting treatment compared to the start of 2010.
As the nation seeks out methods to get a smile to be proud of, the most popular treatment is teeth veneers, which can correct misaligned and stained teeth for a rapid transformation to a beautiful smile. The Hospital Group offers innovative pain-free veneers, which do not require any grinding of the original tooth structure.
Professional teeth whitening is an increasingly popular choice amongst men and women with teeth whitening enquiries increasing by 59% vs 2010 as patients seek more intensive and long-lasting results than can be achieved at home.
David Ross, Chief Executive of The Hospital Group said: “A smile plays such an important part in people’s lives. It’s the first thing most people see when they look at you and for this reason many people can feel self conscious about their teeth. If teeth are discoloured or wonky it can cause people to lack confidence.
Getting a completely new smile can change the way people feel, giving them self belief and allowing them to feel great about themselves. ”
The Hospital Group offers a full range of cosmetic dentistry treatments including invisible braces, teeth whitening, Nusmile veneers, crowns and dental implants all of which are carried out by specialist cosmetic dentists in state-of-the-art treatment centres around the UK.