PruProtect has extended its existing life cover product to include people living with HIV, the first of its kind provided by a mainstream insurer in the UK. The product provides up to £250,000 life cover over a maximum period of ten years. Initially it will cover a limited range of people living with HIV; however, the qualifying criteria will be broadened in future wherever possible in order to cover a wider demographic.
Estimates indicate 20% of people who have started HAART treatment in the last 5 years could be covered now, which represents up to 7% of people currently diagnosed with HIV. Going forward up to 20% of people yet to be treated or diagnosed could also be covered under the initial criteria.
PruProtect's unique Vitality programme with Lite Rewards will also be available to all new policyholders. Under the programme policyholders who participate in a healthy lifestyle will see their premiums decrease in future years, but not increase. Members will also receive discounts from a range of partners including subsidised gym membership, health screens, Eurostar travel and more.
UK HIV statistics:
- Around 97,400 cases of HIV have been reported since the early 1980s
- Over 18,000 people with HIV have died since the early 1980s
- There were 7,734 new diagnoses in 2007
- In 2007, it was estimated that 28% of people living with HIV did not know about their infection
- 31% of people diagnosed with HIV in 2007 were diagnosed late
- 41% of new HIV diagnoses in 2007 were among men who have sex with men
Life insurance: News update: 01/05/2009