Analysis by independent financial research company Defaqto reveals an increasing trend for income protection insurers to actively encourage their policyholders to adopt a healthier lifestyle by offering various health and wellbeing service related promotions.
Ben Heffer at Defaqto says, “The provision of health and wellbeing services for policyholders by a number of insurers is a welcome move to engage with the customer and encourage them to lead a healthier lifestyle. An accurate assessment of current health and an understanding of how lifestyle affects future health risks are an important factor in remaining healthy. This has clear benefits for the policyholder: not only in terms of the peace of mind provided by the protection policy but also, as a result of adopting a healthier lifestyle, less likelihood of actually suffering an illness or incapacity. This represents a potential win-win scenario for the insurer as well, because, with a healthier client base the incidence of claims should reduce.”
The initiatives available include:
- Aviva Health offers Get Active, which provides discounted health club membership for customers
- Bupa has an initiative running until 17th October, where their new customer gets a free health assessment
- LV=’s Healthy Steps incorporates the RoadtoHealth programme, which helps people understand their current state of health, understand how healthy they could be and how to make the necessary changes to achieve it
- PruProtect’s Vitality programme rewards members that take part in the programme with premium discounts in addition to discounts with their Vitality partners
- Unum’s Lifeworks is a comprehensive interactive website offering detailed health and wellbeing information