50plus Insurance is advising all 50 plus would-be skiers this year to remain savvy on the slopes in looking after their health.
As increasing numbers of adventurous over-50 ski enthusiasts head towards favourite ski destinations, many will forget to take proper precautions in protecting themselves against injury.
Advice from specialist over-50s insurer, 50plus recommends that you should take out full travel insurance cover:
- You will need to take out separate travel plus ski insurance for the USA
- Winter sports cover is an extra on most policies
- The European Health Insurance Card does not cover mountain rescue or private treatment
- Annual policies normally work out cheaper
- Don’t ski in closed areas as it will invalidate your insurance
- If skiing in the USA or Canada, don’t be reckless: it could land you in jail
- Check you are insured for other winter sports such as tobogganing and skating