By 2016 one in eight Britons will plan to retire abroad, whilst by 2025, two million Britons will own a second home abroad. Travellers planning an extended visit will require specialist insurance, as the annual travel insurance maximum trip length is generally too short.
Annual policies and Gap policies differ in the length of trip cover they offer. Annual policies provide cover for multi trip travel with a maximum number of days covered within any 12-month period. Gap policies provide cover for a continuous period from three months upwards and are priced accordingly.
American Express Gap Insurance policies are available for durations of three, six, nine, twelve, fifteen or eighteen months. There are three types of policies.
The first is for worldwide cover for adults aged 18 to 65 years inclusive.
There are additional policies for Europe and Worldwide cover, which specifically excludes North America and the Caribbean, and for adults aged 18 to 79 years inclusive.
Other key issues include:
- Gap policies can be bought for Europe, Worldwide and Worldwide excluding North America.
- If a close relative in the UK is taken ill, Gap policies ensure that travellers can either curtail or cancel their trip or fly home to visit and then resume their break if desired.
- If you have an adventurous streak and plan to try your hand at some extreme sports check with your insurer first. Gap policies will cover some sports for example windsurfing, but a bungee jump may require extra cover, such as American Express Special Sports policy.
American Express Gap Insurance offers many benefits including:
- Medical Emergency & Repatriation Cover up to £10 million.
- Cancellation & Curtailment up to £5,000.
- Personal Liability up to £2 million.
- Personal Baggage up to £1,500.
- Personal Accident up to £30,000.
- Missed Departures/Connection.
- Travel & Personal Baggage Delay.