Gap travellers need not resign themselves to missing out on special family occasions in the UK as gap travel insurance is entering a new more flexible era.
A unique "Gap" policy which allows a break for a return visit to the UK for up to 14 days has been launched by American Express Travel Insurance.
The new Gap policy also offers cover for those wishing to take a longer Gap break. The option of a 24 month policy makes it suitable for those planning to take advantage of the changes in Australia’s working visa regulation which mean it is now possible to work in Australia for up to two years.
Gap is designed to offer gap travellers – young and old alike – good quality insurance cover with a degree of flexibility with cover and premium pricing for trips of 3,6,9,12,15,18 and 24 months.
Summary of Benefits & Cover
Legal advice & expenses
Cancellation & curtailment
Lost/Stolen personal baggage
Missed departure and/or connection(s)
Transfer of emergency funds
Involuntary denial of boarding
Loss of passport
Single item limit
Loss of money
Personal baggage delay
- Up to 14 days return visit to United Kingdom during policy
- Opt out options for cover including lost or stolen personal baggage which may already be covered under household insurance and winter sports for those just travelling to hot destinations
- Two year insurance cover for trips - this mirrors the length of the average working visa – particularly for Australia
- Gap insurance cover is now available for Europe only trips. There is also a discount available for those travelling with a European Health Insurance Card
- Price by age banding for adults aged 18 – 65.
Joanne Field, Marketing Manager at American Express Insurance Services says: “Over the past five years, gap insurance has been one of the fastest growing insurance products and we are delighted to be able to launch this unique, bespoke insurance product. Until now, gap insurance only allowed gap travellers to break their trip in an emergency. Now they can return home perhaps to see a newly born family member, take an exam or even to just quell homesickness before resuming their trip.”
There is a 5% discount for buying online.
Travel insurance: News update: December 2007