[Skip to content]

Private Healthcare UK
Search our Site

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.


What health insurance do I need if I live abroad?


Compare health insurance

  • Compare quotes from AXA, Aviva, PruHealth, Simplyhealth and other leading insurers
  • Tailor your policy online and find the right health insurance plans for you and your family
  • Advanced comparison tools:
    • Instant price updates
    • Detailed information on all products
    • Only buy the cover you need

Buy online or speak to a product specialist on 0800 862 0946

0800 862 0946
Compare now

An increasing number of UK citizens leave the UK on a permanent, temporary or semi- permanent basis and require expatriate health insurance:

  • You may be working overseas as an employee or contractor.

  • You may be retired or semi- retired.

  • You may run a business from a foreign country.


What cover do I need?

Before selecting an expatriate health insurance policy, you should consider the following:

  • Do you want "budget" hospital-only cover for acute conditions or "comprehensive", which includes out-patient treatments and consultations?

  • Decide what you can afford and what benefits you most want.

  • Fully understand what is not covered as well as what is.

  • Decide what you don't want insurance cover for? (e.g. repatriation/maternity).

  • Decide if you need access to a 24-hour multilingual helpine.

  • Decide if you want to include cover for accidents and injuries.

  • Decide if you want portability: expatriate health insurance cover that can be continued in another country if you move, without changing the policy or finding a new one.


Useful resources

Get a quote

Get a quote

For costs on expatriate and international medical insurance, visit one of our Featured Providers, or, complete our enquiry form.